Potchefstroom is home to, inter alia, five tertiary institutions and 69 schools, as well as numerous research bureaus and training centres.
The North-West University
A merged tertiary educational institution that was created on 1 January 2004, with campuses at Potchefstroom, Mafikeng and Vanderbijlpark. The Potchefstroom Campus (formerly the Potchefstroomse Universiteit vir Christelike Hoër Onderwys, founded in 1869) is the largest and the head office of the University is situated there. With its merged status, the North-West University became one of the bigger universities in South Africa with approximately 32, 000 students (full-time and distance education students) and is still growing. The Potchefstroom College of Education, originally the Normal College, which was founded in 1919. Initially the College was housed in galvanised iron buildings on the same premises as the Potchefstroom High School for Boys, and it moved to its present location in 1923. The College of Education was incorporated with the University on 1 January 2001.
The Technical College Potchefstroom
Founded in 1939 when the Union Education Department started "continuation classes". The annual increase in student numbers bears testimony to the important role played by this tertiary body.
The Agricultural Centre
Previously known as the Experimental Farm (1902) and Agricultural College (1939), is the largest single agricultural service point on one terrain in Southern Africa. The centre houses the headquarters of the Highveld Region of the Department Agriculture, the Grain Crops Institute as well as the Agricultural College with its modern training facilities. An internationally recognised breed of chicken, called the Potchefstroom Koekoek was developed here.
CTI Education Group
A registered private higher education institution specialising in Information Technology opened its doors in Potchefstroom in 1998. In 2007 the Midrand Graduate College merged with CTI and instruction started in Commerce, Creative Arts & Graphic Design, Psychology & Counselling, and Law. CTI is now situated in Esselen street on the Bult Area.
Founded in 1981 by managing director Tina Schöltz and offers tertiary education in the fields of Somatology, Health and Skincare Therapy, Holistic Health Therapies as well as Interior Design and Decorating.
Potchefstroom High School for Girls
The school was originally known as the Central School and was established in 1874. Girls High was founded in 1905 when the Central School was divided into separate High School for boys and girls.
Potchefstroom High School for Boys
Established in 1874; it has been on its current site since 1905.
Founded in January 1907 as "Die Voorbereidende Skool" with HJJ van der Walt as its first principal. The preparation work which the schools did was in getting young men ready for theological studies as part of the Potchefstroom University, the school later moved to its current location. On 25 January 1915, the school changed its name to Goeverement Skool. A year later it became the first school to start using Afrikaans as well as Dutch and English, making it the first Afrikaans High school north of the Vaal river. In 1918 it became solely a high school and changed its name to Potchefstroom Gimnasium.
Potchefstroom Central Primary School
The only English speaking primary school in the town
Founded in 1927
The Hair Academy of South Africa
(THASA) was founded in 2008 by Elsabe Sheppard. THASA is registered with DHET and provides national as well as international hairdressing qualifications.