It is a fine example of Edwardian style architecture, with it shuttered sash windows and wooden veranda. It is now a museum reflecting Totius’ life.
The site came into use in 1905, together with the Theological School Building. The design is practically a replica of the professor’s residence in Burgersdorp. The first resident of the house was Prof. Jan Lion Cachet.
He was succeeded in 1911 by Jacob Daniel Du Toit (Totius) as professor at the Theological School. Totius and his family lived in the house until 1924, and at least four of his volumes of poetry were created while he lived here. Totius also started his work on the Afrikaans translation of the Bible, a task he continued on a farm at Krugerskraal just outside Potchefstroom.