It is the only existing example of an early townhouse, “Dorpshuis” built around Nieuwe Market Square. The other was the old Hervormde parsonage, demolished in 1974. It serves as concrete evidence of the lifestyle of the first wealthy civilians in the Z.A.R. The site used to be a private residence of magistrate A.M. Goetz during the First War of Independence (1880-1881).
His son in law, Albert Reinholdt Fleishack bought the house and resided there with his family. Fleishack was State Attorney of the ZAR during the Jameson Raid before the outbreak of the Anglo Boer War (1899-1903).
The Fleishack law firm did business for nearly a hundred years in town.
The house and the outbuildings have been restored and fitted out as a house museum.