This Edwardian building was designed by the Cape Town firm of architects William Black & Fogg in 1907 and festively inaugurated on 10 March 1909. Except for the Town Hall in Krugersdorp, the Town Hall in Potchefstroom is the oldest existing one in the old Transvaal. It consists of two parallel and independent wings: The Town Hall with its facilities to the one side, and the municipal offices on the other.
The façade is strictly symmetrical with an emphasized central axis, the 26 meter high vaulted tower. The clock with Westminster (quarter-hour) chimes was manufactured by B. Eijsbouts in the Netherlands, and installed some months after the inauguration of the building.
The Town Hall wing includes a wide entrance hall, with a gallery above, and a hall with seating for about 500 people. From the very beginning this town hall was a cultural centre for the town, staging plays, dance and film shows, political meetings, art competitions and many more. In the administrative wing, apart from offices, space was given to a council room with wall panelling in dark walnut, a library and an office for the mayor. The Tlokwe Tourism Office is currently housed in the municipal offices side of the building.