The old fire and power stations constitutes a group of buildings that are deeply rooted in the industrial history of the town.
The Fire Station Building and the Power Station are mute witnesses of an important event: When Potchefstroom on 15 August 1903 had the first electricity switched on; the first buildings supplied with electric power were the Queen’s and Royal Hotels. The company responsible for this “miracle” was the Potchefstroom Consumers Electric Light Company. Their small power station was taken over in 1912 by the municipality and a new building constructed at a cost of £20 000. In 1919 the power supply doubled, and five years later they invested in more machinery.
With the municipal takeover of the power station in 1911, the responsibility to run an emergency service in case of fire also came.
A fire-engine was purchased, and the Fire Station built. In later years the town Rugby Club used the old building as their headquarters. The building is currently used by the Rotary club as headquarters.